Think back to the five big questions you asked yourself right at the start.
- Who is your audience?
- What is the purpose of the briefing?
- Are there other colleagues I need to involve?
- What is the process for obtaining clearance?
- What is the deadline and how am I going to meet it?
How do you get the tone right for the audience and the purpose of the brief?
- Do you need to persuade somebody or is a straight factual account what’s required?
- Do you need to present a positive or challenging picture?
- Should the language be formal or informal?
- Have you used jargon or acronyms (you will have done, we all do) that aren’t easily understood by a non-expert? Is that a problem?